Friday, 27 June 2008

Who cares about the African orphanages?

My man has gone. Not permanently, just for a week. To Swaziland, a four hour drive from South Africa. This dusty, mountainous land has its typical dose of problems equal to so many African countries. A series of chance meetings has led to the opportunity to visit some orphanages. Until now I had always been so detached from the troubles that plague our neighbours only a plane ride away. That is until it hit a little closer to home in the form of our late night crackly conversations. It was too difficult for him to go into details, all too raw in his mind. My selfish relief quickly replaced by guilt.

The farewell tone of his daily texts has changed, it is now reminiscent of our courting days.



I love you xxx.

I miss you xxx

I love you xxx

I miss you xxx



So out of character.


As my days unfold every insignificant complaint I make in my mind is quickly transformed into gratitude.

I can't stand this coffee he bought, we have plenty to drink.

Why is there so much bloody packaging in electrical items these days? We have electricity.

Why do I have to wait ten days to get an appointment to see my GP? I don't have AIDS.

1 comment:

L4ura5 said...

we are so lucky in so many ways!
whenever i start to let myself sink into complaint i make myself think that no matter how bad i think things are, there are other peolpe in the world that have so much more to deal with.
the thought is a humbling one.

i'm planning a trip to Cambodia and Vietnam to do a photography project.
fingers crossed eh.

hope you're partner comes home safe