Saturday, 28 June 2008

Summer Fair Ills

Yesterday was the school's annual summer fair. Parents and teachers are rallied and cajoled into helping do their bit and throughout last year our efforts raised 8 grand. My offering this time was putting hair up, I am a qualified hairdresser and every skill at these events is utilized. The head of the PTA parked me over by the beautiful pagoda next to the face painting, coloured hair sprays and ice cream van. A constant stream of hair was parked before me as I sprayed, quiffed, back combed, curled, pinned and sparkled with glitter the little princesses. Thankfully the weather stayed dry despite looming clouds threatening overhead.

The ice cream van chugged away and our fantastic summer fair was in full swing. As the afternoon wore on I started to feel unwell, I had a headache, I felt sick and faint. I presumed it was the fact that I had stood for three hours without a drink and had been woken four times in the night by my daughter's over crowded sleepover. My condition began to worsen not helped by the fact that that there were kids running around my feet, and a crowd of people spectating. One child screamed and cried as her grandmother had her hair done. The tantrum caused by the fact she wanted a tattoo and had already had her face painted so wasn't allowed. "NANNY I WANT A TATTOO WAH WAH WAH NANNY I WANT A TATTOO WAAAAAAAAAAAAAH" I wouldn't have to put up with this when I worked in a salon. She stampted her feet, wailed, cried and screamed for 10 minutes. I wanted to scream at her "LOOK, NANNY SAID YOU CAN'T HAVE A TATTOO SO SHUT UP YOU LITTLE BRAT, YOU ARE RUINING MY CONCENTRATION!"

By the end of the day I was exhausted and felt much worse. Short of breath, I felt dizzy and my headache had developed into a full blown migraine. I got home and lay down on my bed and tried to figure out what could be making me feel so rough. Then it hit me, the ice cream van! Carbon monoxide poisoning eeek. The engine had been running constantly throughout the afternoon and the wind had carried the fumes over in my direction. I quickly googled my symptoms (doesn't everyone do that?) and my suspicions were confirmed.

I just about managed to get myself ready and went out on the town. All better.

1 comment:

L4ura5 said...

you have a really wonderful way with words!

damn that ice cream van!!!!

glad ur better though :-)